Wednesday, March 12, 2008

One Job Title, Many Positions

I was recently reminded that I should update this blog a little more frequently; and that some people are interested in how my job is going and what I have been up to.
As of today I have been with J.P. Schwartz, Inc. for about 9 months. I serve the title of Office Manager. I don't know that this title does my job justice, however. If I had to explain my job, I might say I am the go-to-gal, the Jill of all trades, that I wear many hats under one umbrella.
It is hard to explain exactly what I do to someone who asks, hoping for a short answer.
In a larger business you may have an HR Department, an Accounting Department, a person or group who handles your website development, a Sales and Marketing Department, and so on. Well, I do all of that on small scales for a small business. Here is an idea of some of the things I do for J.P. Schwartz, Inc.
Recently I had the pleasure of writing and running an add to hire a new employee. I then got to sort through hundreds of resumes as they came in, write interview questions for both phone and in person interviews, schedule interviews, and listen in on phone interviews. It was a fun process and we now have a new employee.
I also use Quickbooks on a regular basis to generate invoices and mail them to our customers.
I oversee partner and vendor relations. I do scheduling and customer relations tasks such as generating proposals for the client. I maintain our relationships with the BBB and the Chamber of Commerce by attending events they hold and networking with their members. I help with content, editing, and posting to our website, as well as monitoring our online presence. I do filing in the office and also electronically of all the business documents. Daily I monitor websites for project opportunities and subcontractor possibilities. I help with tracking and documenting of financial information. I use a program called Sales Force that is a CRM program, to manage leads, accounts, contacts, opportunities, and schedules; I had the honor of learning this program for our company, training both the owner and new employee to utilize it, and through some simple programing, customizing the program to fit our companies needs. I am being trained to do hardware ordering and procurement. In addition, from time to time, I get the opportunity to train on a technical area or skill that I did not have before, such as the sales of VMware, or Microsoft products. I even book hotel rooms and give directions when needed. There are not too many tasks that I don't do and I always enjoy a new challenge.
I really enjoy all aspects of my job and feel that this position will definitely provide me with a lot of experience to carry on into my future endeavors.
To top it off, I really enjoy my working environment, the flexibility for me to work from home most of the time, and the people I work with. Being a part of such a small company makes one feel more a part of that company and more interested personally in seeing the business succeed. I am ever grateful for this job and this experience.

4 comments:

kimmie said...

i have been wondering when you might update this page! so happy for you! sounds like a great job :) good for you!

Mark Newman said...

Hi from Yankee Stadium, 11th inning, saw you on Twitter so will check out your blog. Hope your training is going great!

Mark Newman said...

Hi, Jenn, just seeing how training is going. :)

Anonymous said...

Great work.