Tuesday, October 27, 2009

V.P. of Administration

What is in a title? I am quickly learning a lot and yet not much all at the same time. (But it sounds impressive, doesn't it?) In June 2009 I had been working with J.P. Schwartz, Inc. for 2 years. Two years that flew by! I have done and learned so much in that time.
As I have said before, I wear many hats with this company. I do accounting, HR, marketing, web site updates, writing, proofreading, I contribute to making company decisions, setting company goals, and so on. So, in June, I accepted a position/title that is graced with V.P. in the name.
I basically do the same job I did before, but with higher expectation, more accountability, and more responsibility for the success or failure of this small company.
Indeed it has been more stressful, sure it has been longer hours, of course it came with a pay raise, but what I have found most interesting is that the title itself means very little. Many people I know put a lot of stock in their title at work, they derive some sort of personal worth or value from that title. I have learned that V.P. of something really is more of a reflection, or should be, of what really matters. What matters is that I care about the company, I care about it's success, I have become personally and emotionally involved in the company, I want to make decisions that are best for the company as a whole, I work hard to see the goals realized, I give 100%. This work ethic, this dedication is where I will find my value, and I will apply it to my family, my relationships, my faith, my hobbies; it is what I applied in my life that allowed me to run a 1/2 marathon, and accomplish personal goals.
I am thankful beyond belief for my job, for a great company, and a great boss. I am proud to work with J.P. Schwartz, and happy to give them my best, but I try not to get too hung up on the fact that I am the V.P. of Administration, even if it does sound pretty cool.

No comments: